In Hebrew “CHAI” means “LIFE”. Here at Camp Centerland we believe that camp is one of the most sacred experiences that a young child can have. At camp children experience free expression of who they are and explore ways to develop and grow. As Camp Centerland starts to grow we look to help more and more campers each year. We know camp changed our life and our goal is to pass that along to all of our campers.
Our first annual Fly Chai fundraiser will help develop the camp property by adding WOW features to the campus. We will also proceeds of the revenue to support our Campership fund. This fund allows us to support children who cannot afford camp but need that life breathed into them. In 2019 we are supporting our community by giving out over $20,000 in fee assistance.
In Judaism the “Chai” is numerically significant and the number 18 is symbolic of this word. That is why we will be selling Golf Balls for $18 per ball. Our golf ball drop will be on August 17, 2019. Mercy Flight service has volunteered to drop these 1,000 golf balls. The prize of $1,800 will be awarded to the golf ball that lands in the hole. If more than one ball lands in the hole the prize money will be split between all of the winners. If no ball lands in the hole then the ball closes to the hole will win. If there is more than one ball at the same distance the prize money will be split between the winners.
Thank you for your support of Camp Centerland and best of luck!
· 2019 Fly Chai Golf Ball Drop will be supervised by a committee of Jewish Community Center of Greater Buffalo Staff and Volunteers. This group will not be permitted to purchase any golf balls for the event. Direct family members of this group are not permitted to purchase golf balls for this event.
o Lead judge for this event will be Michael Garcia; Camp Centerland Director
o Two additional judges will be appointed by 08.10.2019
· No more than 1,000 golf balls will be sold (odds will vary on the total number of ball that are sold),
· All golf ball sales are final
· The last day of golf ball sales will be on 08.15.2019 at noon
· Golf ball numbers will be assigned randomly – no one may pick a specific golf ball number
· Golf balls will be marked with a number starting at 0001 to 1,000 in black marker
· Golf balls will be dropped from a height of 60 to 100 feet from the ground.
· Grass and ground will be kept clear of any visible items within the drop area.
· Ground by nature is slightly uneven with bumps and small ridges. Overall the drop area is considered flat.
· Grass will be kept short for the drop.
· Drop area will be a 150 foot circle with the golf ball hole located in the center of the circle.
· Prize of $1,800 will be awarded:
o Person whose golf ball lands in the PGA golf (4 ¼ inch wide) hole located in the drop zone. If more than one ball lands in the hole then the prize will be split between all the winners.
o Or if no ball goes into the hole the person whose golf ball lands closest to the center of the hole will win. IF there is a tie then the prize money will be split between the winners.
· Prize money of $1,800 will be issued in a check within two week of the drop to the winner(s).
· Prize money of $1,800 will be taken from the sales of the golf balls. If a donor for the prize money is found then a notification will be emailed to all participants.
· Anyone who purchased a ball can attend the drop. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your attendance.
· Winners do not need to be present to win.
· The scheduled date of 08.16.2019 will only be changed if the helicopter cannot:
o Fly due to weather
o Needs to respond to an emergency the day of the event
· If the drop cannot/ does not happen on the scheduled date an alternative date after 08.16.2019 will be provided to all participants
Mercy Flight has agreed to drop the golf balls.Mercy Flight has no liability to the outcome of the balls.They will not be held responsible for “rotor wash” and other external factors.